Hand applique

Friday, October 7, 2011

Check out the cool shelf!

Early this summer my sweet grandmother passed away at the age of 95.  She was such a sweet and fun lady- I have so many fond memories of times we spent together.  
My grandmother was a great seamstess, weaver and knitter.  I now have her Singer sewingmachine dated 1927, I have to take some pictures and share later.
My parents and my aunt and uncle have been cleaning out her house, and they found this cool spoolshelf.  As you can see it is made from threadspools.  I can't remember seeing it before, it was down in her basement.

Here you can see the whole shelf- pretty neat!  It will be living with me pretty soon- I think I'll have to fill it with some lovely fabrics and pictures of my grandparents.

Over to some quilty business..... I am so excited to be part of the "Some kind of Wonderful" Stitch along.
I've had the book for a couple of months, and I really wanted to make this quilt, and I am thrilled to be a part of the SAL group!

Here is the first block- Now I need to decide on fabrics- I might just make it all from my stash....
Tomorrow we're heading for Rome- I think I will have some Italian Ice Cream to help me decide on my fabric choice....
Ciao for now- I'll be back next weekend!
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. great idea to use from your stash..........have fun in Rome and lucky you with your Grandmas things.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I Love the shelf! Awesome!
    And I have to admit that I'm a bit green with envy over your visit to Rome. Sounds so wonderful. Have safe & happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shelf! Have a wonderful trip. HUgs, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your loss! The shelves will be a lovely keepsake. Rome sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. That is a great shelf unit...what a perfect place to store fabric...I've found a bundle of fabric in the stash for the basis of Some Kind of Wonderful, love stash shopping...have fun picking your fabrics...and enjoy Rome - and the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I really appreciate it!